Health Sciences Library staff members welcome our new and returning users.
We are here to help...
User Services Desk, 1st floor
- Visit us in person. Staff are located here during open hours to help you find library materials, use library technology, answer quick reference questions, check out materials, or inform you about other library services.
- Chat, Email, Schedule a Consultation, Phone (919-962-0800), Text (919-584-5931), Search FAQs
- Learn to use RefWorks or EndNote--they help you keep track of the information you find and generate bibliographies when you write.
- Get to know the librarian for your school, department, or program. You will be glad you did!
- Read why other people say they apppreciate HSL.
Print Using your Student ITS Print Plan Account
- 2 ITS printers and 1 color ITS printer are in the Health Sciences Library in the first floor copy room.
- 1 ITS print station is near the coffee shop in the Global Education Center.
Use library computers to send your print job, or download the CCI printing client and send your print job before coming to the library. Print jobs are automatically deleted from a print queue after 1 hour of being submitted from your computer.
Black and white printing costs $0.10 a page. The ITS color printer now located in the first floor copy room costs $0.30 a page.
Wireless access via the UNC network is available to UNC faculty, staff and students. For information and instructions on how to configure your Wi-Fi card see the ITS guide Connecting to the UNC Networks.
Guests & Visitors
Guest wireless access is available in HSL for visitors with their own laptop or Wi-Fi enabled device. "Search for networks" and connect to the SSID named UNC-Guest.
UNC libraries' online resources can not be accessed through the UNC-Guest. Guest access to UNC-subscriptions of electronic journals is only available through HSL's computers on the first floor arc in front of the elevators.
Note: UNC-Guestl is not a secure network so it is highly recommended that UNC-affiliates use the UNC-secure network. Register your laptop or other mobile device with the campus network.
Databases, Journals, Books, and More
The Health Sciences Library, along with the other University Libraries, offers an extensive collection of materials to support your education and research.
- UNC-CH faculty, students, staff use your ONE Card or Hospital Badge
- UNC-CH Faculty, students, staff, and hospital staff use ONYEN / Password
- Request delivery to HSL for books located in other campus libraries.
- When UNC-CH libraries don't own what you need, we will borrow it from another library.
Where in the Health Sciences Library are:
- 29 Onyen log-in computers including 4 MACs, 1st floor
- 6 guest computers, 1st floor arc in front of elevator
- 2 computers with scanners, 1st floor
- 1 computer with special disability software, 1st floor
- 4 ONYEN log-in computers on arc in front of elevator: basement, 3rd, 4th floors
- 10 log-in computers on tables in the basement
- Check out laptops at the User Services Desk, 1st floor
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th floors (MacNider side of building)
- Some Group Study Rooms can be reserved. Plan ahead. We need to hear from you several days before you need the room.
- Journals 1990 and newer, 4th floor
- Journals older than 1990, basement
- Books 1990 and newer, 3rd floor
- Books older than 1990, basement
- Reference Books, 1st floor near User Services Desk
- DVDs / Videos, 1st floor near MacNider door
- Historical Collections, 5th floor (appointment needed)
- Use the Catalog to search for journals & books, both print and electronic
- Books, audiovisuals, and dental kits/models at the User Services Desk, 1st floor
Food for Thought
- Appropriate snack foods (nothing messy, please!) are allowed on all floors in HSL, except the basement.
- Users may bring drinks in the library in approved containers. These containers must have a lid.
- The Friends' Cafe on the first floor of the library (Columbia Street side) has coffee, snacks and sandwiches.
- Cafe Hours
Nearby Food Spots