Through our subscription to the World of Science database, UNC affiliates can create a free account on Endnote Basic (Online). This will allow you to take advantage of some, although not all, of the basic functionality of Endnote without buying the desktop version. Here's how to do it.
1. Navigate to Web of Science, and click on the Endnote link at the top of the screen.
2. You will see a pop-up which will ask you to sign in. Click on the link that says Register, below the sign-in fields.
3. Follow the prompts to create your account.
4. When you have created your account, you will see a pop-up telling you that you are signed into Web of Science. Do not worry--you have not done anything wrong. Click OK, and you will see another pop-up with the Endnote End User License Agreement.
5. Click I agree, and you will be taken to the Endnote Basic homescreen. Congratulations, you now have an Endnote account!
Setting up an EndNote Online Account
(Note that this is the procedure for creating an Endnote Online account if you have bought the full software package. To create a free Endnote Basic account through UNC's Web of Science subscription, see the previous page of this guide).
Open your EndNote library. Click on the Sync Library button in the toolbar along the top. The EndNote Online Login dialog box will open. If you:
Syncing a Desktop Library with Endnote Online
Note: We recommend that you set aside one Endnote library file that will be your "sync file," and only sync references from that file with Endnote Online. Keep in mind that if you sync a desktop file with Endnote Online, all of the references you already have saved in your Endnote Online account will appear in your desktop file.