HSL will close at 6pm, Thursday, March 5 until at least 10am Friday, March 6. (UNC Campus under Condition 3)
Barbara's Basics: Improve Your Library Research Skills
Build Confidence: Improve Your Library Research Skills Now!
Ask a Librarian whenever you need help.
- Chat, email, call or meet with a librarian. We can save you time. We really mean it!
- There is a link to Ask a Librarian in the header of every HSL page.
New to library research? Has it been awhile since you wrote a research paper?
- Don't forget, OR finds more. Review Boolean Searching.
- UNC Libraries Introduction to Library Research tutorial will help you get started. Covers:
Don't forget, we can get you any article you need.
- Use the Find @ UNC link in database search results to look for full text.
- When the article is not online, use the options a the bottom of the Find @ UNC page to search the catalog for print or to request the article via Interlibrary Loan.
Once you find it, how do you know it is any good?
- UNC Libraries Evaluating Your Sources tutorial will help you learn how to choose quality research. Use the PDF handouts as you do research:
- Learn about Peer Review and how to know if an article has been peer reviewed.
Learn about Scholarly Research Articles.
- Understand the structure of medical research articles to read more efficiently. Use the Structure of Scholarly Articles and Peer Review guide to learn more.
Don't forget, stay organized.
- Use RefWorks (or a similar tool) to organize the articles that you find useful.
Allied Health Sciences Guides
Aids for Organizing Your Search
Use this guide to help visualize and plan your search:
- Purdue Libraries' Constructing a Search Statement handout
Use this log to keep your search organized and to document your search strategy for reporting: