Barbara's Basics: Improve Your Library Research Skills
Build Confidence: Improve Your Library Research Skills Now!
Ask a Librarian whenever you need help.
- Chat, email, call or meet with a librarian. We can save you time. We really mean it!
- There is a link to Ask a Librarian in the header of every HSL page.
New to library research? Has it been awhile since you wrote a research paper?
- Don't forget, OR finds more. Review Boolean Searching.
- UNC Libraries Introduction to Library Research tutorial will help you get started. Covers:
Don't forget, we can get you any article you need.
- Use the Find @ UNC link in database search results to look for full text.
- When the article is not online, use the options a the bottom of the Find @ UNC page to search the catalog for print or to request the article via Interlibrary Loan.
Once you find it, how do you know it is any good?
- UNC Libraries Evaluating Your Sources tutorial will help you learn how to choose quality research. Use the PDF handouts as you do research:
- Learn about Peer Review and how to know if an article has been peer reviewed.
Learn about Scholarly Research Articles.
- Understand the structure of medical research articles to read more efficiently. Use the Structure of Scholarly Articles and Peer Review guide to learn more.
Don't forget, stay organized.
Allied Health Sciences Guides
Aids for Organizing Your Search
Use this guide to help visualize and plan your search:
- Purdue Libraries' Constructing a Search Statement handout
Use this log to keep your search organized and to document your search strategy for reporting: