PDF Automatic Renaming and Import Folder
The automatic renaming feature saves you the trouble of manually changing the name of all your PDF files. You can set how you would like EndNote to automatically rename all of the PDF files that you import into your library.
The Auto Import Folder allows you to designate a 'watched' folder on your desktop. Any PDF added to this folder will automatically be imported into your EndNote library.
- In your EndNote library, select Edit > Preferences... from the menu bar. The EndNote Preferences dialog box will open.
- Select PDF Handling from the box in the left column.
- Under PDF Auto Renaming Options, choose how you would like EndNote to rename PDFs that you import into your library. Click Apply. Click OK once you have finished selecting your options.
- Under PDF Auto Import Folder, select the box next to Enable automatic importing or click the Select Folder button.
- A dialog box will appear. Locate the folder from which you would like EndNote to automatically import PDFs.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
- Click Apply. Click OK once you have finished selecting your options.
- Any PDF added to the Auto Import Folder will automatically be imported into your EndNote library.
PDF Handling in EndNote Preferences
Automatic Group Creation for Imported Folder of PDFs
When importing a folder of PDFs into your library, EndNote X7 gives you the option importing subfolders within a folder. You can also choose to have EndNote create a Group Set for the main folder and Groups for the subfolders. Note that EndNote X7 will attempt to attach PDFs to matching references that already exist within the library instead of creating new, duplicate references.
- Click on the File menu and select Import > Folder. The Import Folder dialog box will appear.
- Click on Choose and select the folder that you wish to import.
- If you wish to include subfolders within the folder, select the box next to Include files in subfolders.
- If you want EndNote to create a separate group set for the main folder and groups within it for the subfolders, select the box next to Create a Group Set for this import.
- Under Import Option, select PDF from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Import when you have finished. All references within the folder and its subfolders will be imported into your EndNote library and a new Group Set and Groups will be created.
Import Folder Dialog Box in EndNote X7
Back to Top