Sarah Towner Wright, MLS: Clinical Librarian
Clinical Librarian and Graduate Medical Education Specialist, Health Sciences Library
As the Clinical Librarian and Graduate Medical Education Specialist, Ms. Wright will explore and implement training for UNC Hospitals’ residents; handle patient-related information retrieval and the critical appraisal of evidence; provide expert-mediated searching and synthesized answers in response to advanced requests; offer effective and innovative client-centered education services; and conduct individual and group consultations on information discovery, retrieval, and management.
Prior to this appointment, Ms. Wright was a User Services Librarian with the Health Sciences Library at UNC. She was previously the Director of Information Management and Clinical Pediatrics Librarian for the UNC Department of Pediatrics, as well as the Information Services Librarian at the Health Sciences Library at UNC; the Manager of the Medical Library at the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, Virginia; the Hospital Liaison/Medical Reference Librarian at the Himmelfarb Library at the George Washington University Medical Center in Washington, D.C.; and the Health Information Specialist at the Rural Information Center Health Service (RICHS) at the National Agricultural Library in Beltsville, MD.
MLS, University of Pittsburgh
BA, French Education and Music Performance, University of Richmond
2e Degree, Universite de Strasbourg, France
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Sheffield RC, Crawford P, Wright ST, King VJ. What is the best treatment for cradle cap? J Fam Pract. 2007 Mar;56(3):232-3.
- Crotteau CA, Wright ST, Eglash A. Clinical inquiries. What is the best treatment for infants with colic? J Fam Pract. 2006 Jul;55(7):634-6.
- McPherson V, Wright ST, Bell AD. Clinical inquiries. What is the best treatment for gastroesophageal reflux and vomiting in infants? J Fam Pract. 2005 Apr;54(4):372-5.
- Zafar AB, Butler RC, Wright ST, Draghi E. Primary bacteremia and needleless safety devices. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999 Jan;20(1):15. 5.
- Zafar AB, Wright S. In-house versus contract management of environmental services: a matter of cost and quality. Am J Infect Control. 1998 Oct;26(5):539-40.
- "Without Face-to-Face Limits: Using Online Modules to Expand Specialty Focused Residency EBM Instruction for the ACGME Milestone Project" Poster Session presented at the Medical Library Association Meeting, Austin, TX, May 2015.
- “A Novel Approach to Pediatric Resident Education is Associated with Higher In-training Exam Scores” Poster Session presented at the Medical Library Association Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, May 2007.
- "Developing an Educational and Administrative Web Site for a Pediatrics Department” Poster Session presented at the Medical Library Association Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2004.
- "A New Fish in the Sea: A Clinical Librarian in a Pediatrics Department” Poster Session presented at the Medical Library Association Meeting, San Diego, California, May 2003.
- "MLA Benchmarking Initiative" Poster Session presented at the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Medical Library Association, Roanoke, VA, October 2000.
- "A New Approach to Information Literacy Training for Residents” Poster Session presented at the Medical Library Association’s Annual Conference, Kansas City, KS, June 1996.
- "At the Crossroads of a Medical Center’s Information Needs” Poster Session presented at the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Medical Library Association, Richmond, VA, October 1996.
- “Gopher: Internet Travel Made Easy”, MLA Course, New Perspectives 518, half-day course presented at MLA Annual Meeting, San Antonio Texas, May 18, 1994 and on May 8, 1995 at the Annual Meeting in Washington, DC. Also taught at ANCHASL meeting in October, 1996.