My NCBI: Saving and Filtering Searches in PubMed, Managing a Professional Bibliography: Saving Searches
Saving Searches in My NCBI
Before you start saving searches, please register for and sign into a MyNCBI account.
Run your search using as many terms and limits as are necessary for your topic.
Click the "Save Search" link below the search box. If your last search is not displayed, your system may not be set to accept cookies. On the next screen, you can confirm that you want to save the search by clicking the "Save" button.
The following screen will offer a number of options, including the option to edit the name of your search (the default name is the search terms used). If you wish to have MyNCBI automatically email you results as they are indexed in PubMed, select the appropriate "Yes" option to meet your needs (the default setting is NOT to send you an email). You will be given the option to choose daily, weekly, or monthly email updates.
Click the green "Save" button to save the search in your MyNCBI area.
- Links to related articles cannot be stored.
- Dates and date ranges are not recommended for stored searches.
- Stored searches are numbered and listed in descending order according to the date and time they were originally stored.
- The maximum number of stored searches is 100 per user name.
- Stored searches cannot be edited.
Review a Saved Search
To see your saved search(es), click on the "My NCBI" link in the blue navigation bar at the top-right corner of your PubMed screen. If you are already signed in, links to your saved data (including Saved Searches, Collections, and My Bibliography) will be displayed in boxes.
To review information about a saved search, click on the "Manage Saved Searches" link in the corner of the Saved Searches box.
A table will appear on the following page outlining the titles of your saved searches (Name), what database each is from (Database), when they were last searched (Last Searched), and how often each search is performed (Schedule).
You can click the hyperlinked search name to run the search without update limits. This will will not change the latest date and time for the search. Stored information includes the search name, date and time last updated, database searched, search terms, and field limits, when applicable.
Update Results of a Saved Search: Check for new items since your last update.
- Select the search(es) you want to update by clicking the check box(es) next to the search name.
- Click the "What's new" button above the table. The new table that appears will display the list of searches you selected along with a column indicating the number of new items retrieved since the last time you checked (New Items Found). If there are no new items, the table will display 0 new.
- Click # new items in the New Items Found column to link to the new items. Clicking on this link displays the new items and updates the stored search with the new date and time. If you do not click # new items, the search date and time are not updated.
Delete a Saved Search
Select the stored search(es) you want to delete by clicking the check box next to the search name. Click the "Delete selected items" button above the list. You can select and delete multiple searches at a time.
On Campus Access: Electronic resources are accessible on-campus. Faculty, students and staff must register personal laptops and mobile devices with UNC Chapel Hill ITS.
UNC Hospitals Access: Electronic resources are available via the Library website by logging in with your Onyen. Note: UpToDate is available within EPIC.
Off Campus Access: Access resources off-campus via the Library website by logging in with your Onyen. Most electronic resources are accessible off-campus to students, faculty, and staff, including UNC Hospitals' staff.