E-Resource Troubleshooting: Where To Begin?
A convenient place for staff to look for ways to solve a problem with an electronic resource.
Reporting the Problem: Best Practices
Report the problem, so that RMS staff can follow up with the user.
- Be sure to include the user's name and contact information, so that we can follow up! We strongly prefer email; it's easier to convey detailed information this way and we've got a record of what's been done.
- What was the user trying to access? If the PMID is available, please include it.
- What is the user's IP address? (I like IPChicken because it also includes browser information)
- Which browser was the patron using? Which version?
- Where did the patron start? A Library web page? Google? Personal bookmarks? (Hint: Always start with the Library!)
- Were there any error messages? What were they?
If you are unable to provide the item the user needs, instruct them to request it through ILL.