RefWorks: What is RefWorks?
Important News about RefWorks
UNC Libraries' subscription to RefWorks will end next August (2017)
New users who need access after August 2017 should start with another program.
Current RefWorks users who need access after August 2017 should plan to move their content to another program before that date.
Here are some online tools that will help with this transition:
What is RefWorks?
Access your free RefWorks account with UNC-CH
RefWorks will not be available through UNC-CH after next August (2017)
New to RefWorks? Go to the login page and click "Sign up for a New Account."
RefWorks is a reference management system where you can:
- Collect citations
- Manage citations, by folder or a searchable database
- Cite using proper formatting in a variety of citation styles (e.g. APA, AMA, Vancouver, etc)
- Share research with colleagues
You download citations from the web and store them in your online RefWorks account. Then when you want to write your manuscript, you can use the Write-N-Cite Word Add-on to insert properly formatted citations and a bibliography. Since RefWorks is accessible from the web, it can be used from any computer connected to the internet.
This guide contains information on:
- Adding references to your account
- An introduction on Write-N-Cite, RefWork's tool for properly formatting your citations and bibliographies in your papers.
- A full explanation on how to install and use Write-N-Cite for both PCs and Macs
- Advanced tips to using RefWorks, including sharing options and functionality on tablets like the iPad
- The Group Code that you may need to enter to fully use RefWorks
- Further information for additional help if you run into any issues
RefWorks has excellent tutorials in video form on YouTube. Check out their YouTube page for a full listing of their training materials.
HSL will not be offering RefWorks classes during 2016 - 2017. Check dates for HSL's Mendeley and EndNote classes.
UNC-CH Libraries RefWorks Cancellation Announcement
After careful consideration, the UNC Libraries have decided not to renew their subscription to RefWorks. Our current subscription to RefWorks will end August 2017. All users will need to move their citations to an alternative software before September 2017. The library will continue to provide RefWorks support until the subscription ends. We will begin to provide online assistance to RefWorks users in migrating their citations to other management software. There are other alternatives to RefWorks. They include, Mendeley, Zotero, Faculty1000Workspace, and you can also purchase EndNote for a discounted price. The library will also start providing training for using Mendeley and continue its EndNote training. You can contact a librarian to help you transferring to and using a new citation manager. If you have any specific questions about this topic and also need assistance, you can contact us via AskALibrarian.