Google Scholar UNC
This guide points to many sources for book reviews. Also, the databases for finding scholarly articles often also identify reviews in those journals.
H-Net Reviews is a good source for scholarly reviews.
In addition, the Web of Science (don't let the name fool you) allows you to track articles as they are cited through time and also identify book reviews.
Finding Scholarly Articles
First, you also want to know the different types of periodical articles.
These databases are four starting points for finding journal articles for many topics of historical research.
- America History and Life. Indexes journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations & book reviews on US and Canadian history.
- Historical Abstracts. Covers the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada).
- International Medieval Bibliography. For the European Middle Ages (c 450-1500), this indexes periodicals, books, essay collections, etc.
- Annee Philologique on the Internet
Index for classical literature, philology and archaeology.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies. Citations to articles published worldwide from 1971 for East, Southeast and South Asia
One good strategy when you are searching the library catalog is to begin with a simple keyword search to identify one or more relevant books. Once you have located a relevant item, you can look at the item's Library of Congress Subject Headings within the item's full record tab and follow the subject heading links in the catalog to find other, similar or related books.
You can also refine your results by using the facets on the left side of the screen.
- Keyword: Justinian patronage
- Associated Subject Heading: "Art patronage -- Congresses"
- Associated Subject Heading: "Byzantine Empire -- History -- Justinian I, 527-565."
- Keyword: Puritan women
- Associated Subject Heading: "Women -- New England -- History -- 17th century"
- Associated Subject Heading: "Puritans -- New England -- Language."
- Keyword: African Americans World War I
- Associated Subject Heading: "World War, 1914-1918 -- Participation, African American."
- Associated Subject Heading: "African American soldiers -- History -- 20th century."
- Keyword: Japan women bibliography