Google Scholar UNC
This guide points to many sources for book reviews. Also, the databases for finding scholarly articles often also identify reviews in those journals.
H-Net Reviews is a good source for scholarly reviews.
In addition, the Web of Science (don't let the name fool you) allows you to track articles as they are cited through time and also identify book reviews.
Finding Scholarly Articles
First, you want to know the different types of periodical articles.
The resources listed below are good starting points to find articles about your topic.
- Film & Television Literature Index Covers over 300 journal and magazine titles for reviews, scholarly and critical analysis, and articles of popular interest.
- FIAF International Index to Film Periodicals Plus. Indexes more than 500,000 articles from 340 of the world's foremost academic and popular film journals
- Film Index International. References articles but a strong sources for film credits information.
Full-text collection of international journals, magazines, newsletters, regional publications, special reports and conference proceedings devoted to women's and gender issues.
- Historical Abstracts
Covers the history of the world from 1450 to the present (excluding the United States and Canada).
- America History and Life
Indexes journal articles, books, book chapters, dissertations & book reviews on US and Canadian history.
One good strategy when you are searching the library catalog is to begin with a simple keyword search to identify one or more relevant books. Once you have located a relevant item, you can look at the item's Library of Congress Subject Headings within the item's full record tab and follow the subject heading links in the catalog to find other, similar or related books.
You can also refine your results by using the facets on the left side of the screen.
Sample searches in the catalog
- Keyword: women war film
- Keyword: "World War I" movies
- Associated Subject Heading: "World War 1914-1918 -- Motion pictures and the war"
- Associated Subject Heading: "War films -- France -- history and criticism"