This page provides links to important resources for the study of the history of broadcasting. Professor: David Cupp at UNC's School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
In this guide, you will find:
- TV News Online - view news clips and transcripts from major networks and local affiliates
- Background Info - find articles and images related to your news event
image from iconarchive
- NBC News Archives
Over 13,000 NBC News video clips in all areas & time periods. Includes newsreels from the 1940s, coverage of the Nuremberg War Crimes Trial, coverage of the first day of school in Little Rock in 1957, an interview with Eleanor Roosevelt from 1959.
- Historic Newspapers
Full-text and images of several newspapers:
- The Atlanta Constitution (1868 to 1945)
- The Baltimore Sun (1837-1987)
- The Chicago Tribune (1849 - 1986)
- The Los Angeles Times (1881-1989)
- The Louisville Courier-Journal (1830 – 1922)
- The Nashville Tennessean (1812 – 1922)
- The New York Times (1851 to 3 years ago)
- The Wall Street Journal (1889-1995)
- The Washington Post (1877 to 1996).
- Associated Press Images
Features notable figures and images from significant events of the 20th and, occasionally, the 19th centuries (an 1844 photograph of Abraham Lincoln; 1880 photographs of the Brooklyn Bridge). mid-19th century-present. great visuals! Note: Images are covered by U.S. copyright law and can only be used for class projects.
... Park Library staffer Madeline Veitch for her work on this guide.