Welcome! Evaluating Online Information in the Research Process is intended to help you:
use criteria to evaluate online information in light of your own goals and purposes
follow a sequence of steps to carry out a research project that includes online resources.
The information presented here is designed to help you with academic, personal, or job-related research projects.
How To Use This Guide
This instructional guide is organized around three topics:
1. Evaluation Criteria (Nuts and Bolts) are important basic criteria that apply to any kind of information. Click on the "Evaluation Criteria" tab above whenever you want guidance for evaluating information.
2. Research Steps are pages intended to help you use online information effectively throughout the research process. Read the "Steps" page that corresponds to where you currently are in your research, or skim the Steps for an overview. Feel free to print parts of this guide that you wish to carefully review.
3. Issues and Tips includes short discussions of barriers, skills, or other topics. Issue discussions are intended to help you work effectively and enjoy what you are doing. Steps pages link to Issues discussions where appropriate.
This guide includes additional references to online and print materials so you can explore topics in greater depth. You can access the reference list from any page by clicking on the "References" tab.
Several exercises are included to help you integrate the information provided here with your knowledge and experience.
Remember, "nothing will contribute to the quality of your work more than your sense of its worth and your commitment to it." (Booth, Colomb, and Williams, 1995, p.36).
Have fun and good luck!
- Last Updated Jan 23, 2014
This guide introduces visual literacy and why it is important. It discusses how to think about, use, and create images and visual media, and provides links to important resources.
422 views this year
- Last Updated Oct 26, 2012
How to organize and work with digital media files (images, videos, audios) on your Windows or Macintosh computer
620 views this year
- Last Updated Mar 24, 2014
Learn how to design and publish effective posters. This guide includes sections on design elements, the poster design process, and using software to create posters.
31,410 views this year