Due to uneven coverage in the catalog and databases, as well as multiple possible library locations for these items, searching for dissertations and theses can be complicated. If you find yourself stuck, or if you just want to talk to a librarian about your search, please Contact Us.
- Dissertation - Presents original research and is written as part of the requirements for obtaining a doctorate.
- Thesis - Presents original research and is written as part of the requirements for obtaining a master's degree.
- Master's Paper - Some master's programs at UNC do not have an official "thesis" but rather require a major paper or report.
- Undergraduate Honors Thesis - Written and defended by Honors Carolina undergraduate students in order to graduate with Honors or Highest Honors.
Searching for Theses and Dissertations
- Dissertation and Theses - A good place to begin a search for dissertations and theses. It indexes dissertations, including those completed at UNC. Coverage varies by university, and full-text is available from 1997 to present. Although it does index theses, the coverage is not nearly as comprehensive
- Dissertation & Theses @ University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Only indexes theses and dissertations completed at UNC-Chapel Hill. It indexes Chapel Hill dissertations from the 1920's on, with full text from 1997 on. It also indexes some theses from 1966 on, with full text from 2006 on for selected masters' theses. Indexing of UNC-CH dissertations is selective, especially for the earlier years.
- UNC Library - Full text of the majority of UNC theses and dissertations from 2006, and all beginning in 2008, are freely available electronically.
There are also 2 published lists of UNC-Chapel Hill theses and dissertations covering up to 1960, both arranged by department, type of degree, and year, with author indexes:
- Godfrey, James L. The Graduate School: Dissertations and Theses. Chapel Hill, 1947.
- N.C. University Library. Humanities Division. Graduate School Dissertations and Theses, First Supplement: 1946-59.
Open Access Dissertation Searches (Freely Available)
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations Project (OATD) Free to search; results specific to Electronic Theses and Disstetations (EDTs). Results limited to freely accessible, full-text ETDs.
Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) Free to search and results limited to theses and dissertations. Results link to a mix of types of access to theses/dissertations.