Evidence-Based Physical Therapy
NOTE: APTA: Research Section link, below, includes links to Hooked on Evidence and Open Door. APTA Members (including student members) receive free access to these evidence based resources.
A few Journal Articles about Evidence-Based Practice in Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation
Evidence-Based Practice Resources & Training
Statistics Resources for EBPT
- Diagnostic Test: Calculates Sensitivity, Specificity, PPV, NPV, LR+, and LR.
- Prospective Study: Calculates Relative Risk (RR), Absolute Relative Risk (ARR), and Number Needed to Treat (NNT).
- Case-control Study: Calculates Chi-squared and OR.
- Randomized Controlled Trial: Calculates Relative Risk, Absolute Relative Resk, Number Needed to Treat, Chi-squared, and OR.
- Determines diagnostic test characteristics: Prevalence, sensitivity, specificity, likelihood ratios, etc.
- Determines post-test probabilities given pre-test probabilities & test characteristics.
EBPT Guide Citations
Bury, T. J., & Mead, J. M. (Eds.). (1998) Evidence-based healthcare: A practical guide for therapists. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.
Hammell, K. W., & Carpenter, C. (Eds.). (2004) Qualitative research in evidence-based rehabilitation. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.
Herbert R., Jamtvedt, G., Mead, J. & Hagen, K. B. (2005) Practical evidence-based physiotherapy. Edinburgh: Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann.
Herbert, R. D., Sherrington, C., Maher, C., & Moseley, A. M. (2001) Evidence-based practice: imperfect but necessary. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice , 17(3), 201-211.
Koes, B. W. (1997) Now is the time for evidence based physiotherapy. Physiotherapy Research International , (2)2, iv-v.
Maher, C., Moseley, A., Sherrington, C., & Herbert , R. (2001) Core journals of evidence-based Physiotherapy practice. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice , 17(3), 143-151.
O'Brien, M. A. (2001) Keeping up-to-date: continuing education, practice improvement strategies, and evidence-based physiotherapy practice. Physiotherapy Theory and Sherrington, C., Moseley, A., & Herbert, R. (2001). Guest editorial. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice , 17(3), 125-126.
For help troubleshooting access to electronic resources, especially from UNC Hospitals and from off-campus: