What effect do perioperative / intraoperative goal directed fluid therapy methods have on adult surgical patient outcomes?
Download the worksheet (with tips!) to guide your practice of:
P (Patient, population) = adult surgical patients
I (Intervention) = perioperative / intraoperative goal directed fluid therapy
C (Comparison) = none
O (Outcome) = outcomes; specific outcomes undefined in question
T (Type of Question) = therapy
T (Type of Study) = therapy hierarchy starting with systematic review of randomized trials
Search as entered in PubMed: fluid therapy AND goal directed AND (intraoperative OR intra-operative OR perioperative OR peri-operative)
PubMed Search Details: ("fluid therapy"[MeSH Terms] OR ("fluid"[All Fields] AND "therapy"[All Fields]) OR "fluid therapy"[All Fields]) AND (("goals"[MeSH Terms] OR "goals"[All Fields] OR "goal"[All Fields]) AND directed[All Fields]) AND (intraoperative[All Fields] OR intra-operative[All Fields] OR perioperative[All Fields] OR peri-operative[All Fields])
Type of Article: Use either the Article Type filter or a Clinical Query search to see if there are Meta-Analysis or Systematic Reviews.
1. Chong MA, Wang Y, Berbenetz NM, McConachie I. Does goal-directed haemodynamic and fluid therapy improve peri-operative outcomes?: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2018;35(7):469-483.
2. Yuan J, Sun Y, Pan C, Li T. Goal-directed fluid therapy for reducing risk of surgical site infections following abdominal surgery - A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Surg. 2017;39:74-87.
3. Sun Y, Chai F, Pan C, Romeiser JL, Gan TJ. Effect of perioperative goal-directed hemodynamic therapy on postoperative recovery following major abdominal surgery-a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Crit Care. 2017;21(1):141.
4. Som A, Maitra S, Bhattacharjee S, Baidya DK. Goal directed fluid therapy decreases postoperative morbidity but not mortality in major non-cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Anesth. 2017;31(1):66-81.
5. Rollins KE, Lobo DN. Intraoperative Goal-directed Fluid Therapy in Elective Major Abdominal Surgery: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Ann Surg. 2016;263(3):465-476.
6. Ripolles-Melchor J, Espinosa A, Martinez-Hurtado E, et al. Perioperative goal-directed hemodynamic therapy in noncardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Anesth. 2016;28:105-115.
7. Ripolles J, Espinosa A, Martinez-Hurtado E, et al. Intraoperative goal directed hemodynamic therapy in noncardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Braz J Anesthesiol. 2016;66(5):513-528.
8. Osawa EA, Rhodes A, Landoni G, et al. Effect of Perioperative Goal-Directed Hemodynamic Resuscitation Therapy on Outcomes Following Cardiac Surgery: A Randomized Clinical Trial and Systematic Review. Crit Care Med. 2016;44(4):724-733.
9. Giglio M, Manca F, Dalfino L, Brienza N. Perioperative hemodynamic goal-directed therapy and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis with meta-regression. Minerva Anestesiol. 2016;82(11):1199-1213.
10. Gomez-Izquierdo JC, Feldman LS, Carli F, Baldini G. Meta-analysis of the effect of goal-directed therapy on bowel function after abdominal surgery. Br J Surg. 2015;102(6):577-589.
11. Berger MM, Gradwohl-Matis I, Brunauer A, Ulmer H, Dunser MW. Targets of perioperative fluid therapy and their effects on postoperative outcome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Minerva Anestesiol. 2015;81(7):794-808.
12. Benes J, Giglio M, Brienza N, Michard F. The effects of goal-directed fluid therapy based on dynamic parameters on post-surgical outcome: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Crit Care. 2014;18(5):584.
13. Giglio MT, Marucci M, Testini M, Brienza N. Goal-directed haemodynamic therapy and gastrointestinal complications in major surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Br J Anaesth. 2009;103(5):637-646.