Compare Older EndNote Versions
If you have an older version of EndNote, you don't need to update to the newest version every time one comes out; the company that owns EndNote continues to support older versions as much as possible. There are some advanced features in the newest version of EndNote that older versions do not have. To see a full comparison of versions X6-X9, please visit this website.
|Share your entire EndNote library with others||with 14 people||with 100 people||
with 100 people
|Share your entire EndNote library with read-only access||
|Share specific groups in your EndNote library|||
|Number of references in EndNote Online||50,000||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Built-in "Recently Added" group|||||
|Apply bulk updates|||||
|Smart Groups and Combined Groups|||||||
|One-click Find Full Text|||
|Automatically extract metadata from imported PDFs||**|| **||
|Search PDF text and notes|||||||
|Annotate and highlight PDFs|||||||
** EndNote is not always able to extract accurate metadata from imported PDFs. Always be sure to double-check the metadata in these citations. If EndNote cannot detect any metadata from a PDF, you'll have to add the information manually.
How do I get Cite While You Write (CWYW)?
- You need to have Microsoft Word installed on your computer before you install EndNote.
- Endnote X7 and X6 are compatible with Microsoft Word 2008 and 2011.
- Installing X7 will add the EndNote submenu automatically. If you are installing X6, you will have to install it manually.
Where is the Cite While You Write in Word?
CWYW is under the Tools menu in Word.
How do I insert a citation?
- Make sure both your EndNote library and your Word document are open. Position the cursor in Word where you want to insert a citation.
- Select Insert Citation under the Tools > EndNote (see above picture).
- The EndNote Find & Insert My References box will appear. Enter text (author's last name, year, title, keyword) to search for a particular reference or insert an astrick (*) to search through all references in your library. Click the Find button.
- In the results of your search, click on the reference that you want to cite to highlight it. To highlight multiple references, hold down the Ctrl key while you click on references.
- Once you have selected your references, click on the Insert button. The selected references will be inserted into your Word document and displayed as defined by the current Output Style.
How do I change the output style in my Word document?
- In the Word toolbar, select Tools > EndNote > Configure Bibliography.
- Choose your desired style from the With output style drop-down menu. If a style does not appear in the drop-down menu, click on the Browse button to find another style. Click OK.