Exporting References from CINAHL & PsycInfo
Note: These instructions apply to all EBSCOhost databases.
Moving citations from CINAHL or PsycInfo into EndNote requires two steps. First, you'll export the citations out of the database. Next, you'll import the citation file into EndNote. Click the links below or scroll down for instructions.
Step 1: Exporting out of CINAHL and PsycInfo:
Exporting a Single Citation - Click here
Exporting Multiple Citations - Click here
Exporting a Large Number of Citations (e.g. for a systematic review) - Click here
Step 2: Importing into EndNote - Click here
2. Click on the title of the record that you wish to export to your EndNote library.
3. On the right side of your screen, select Export.
4. In the window that pops up, select the first radio button Direct Export in RIS Format. Click Save.
5. Proceed to Importing into EndNote instructions below.
1. If you want to export several citations, click the blue folder icon next to each citation you want to export. This will add the citation into your Folder.
2. If you want to save an entire page of results, click Share on the right side of your screen and under Add to folder select Results. You can display up to 50 citations on a single page. To change the number of citations on a page, click Page Options.
3. Once you have added all the citations you want, click the Folder icon at the top right of your screen.
4. In your folder, select all the citations you want to export. Then click Export on the right side of your screen.
5. On the right side of your screen, select the first radio button Direct Export in RIS Format. Then on the left side of your screen, click Save.
6. Proceed to Importing into EndNote instructions below.
Sometimes you'll need to export hundreds or thousands of citations at a time, especially if you're doing a systematic review or a big literature review. You can export up to 25,000 citations at a time in EBSCOhost databases.
1. After conducting your search, click Share on the right side of your screen and then click Email a link to download exported results.
2. The following screen will appear. On the left side, enter your email address in the Email To box. On the right side, select the first radio button RIS Format. Then click save.
3. You will receive an email with a link to download the RIS file. This may take a while, depending on how many citations you're exporting. Make sure to check your Spam folder if you don't receive the email.
4. Once the RIS file has downloaded, proceed to Importing into EndNote instructions below.
There are two methods for importing the citation file into EndNote. If the citations do not appear in your EndNote library when you use the first method, try the second method.
1. Locate the RIS file in your downloads and right click. Hover over Open With and select EndNote. If you do not see EndNote on the dropdown shortlist, select Other and choose EndNote from the options provided.
2.Your citations will automatically appear in your EndNote library. If you do not already have EndNote open, your computer will open your EndNote library.
If you have a Mac, please see alternate instructions here.
1. In EndNote, locate the Import option and select File.
3. Select the RIS file downloaded from CINAHL/PsycInfo. Set Import Option to Reference Manager (RIS). If you do not see Reference Manager (RIS) in the dropdown, select Other Filters and search for Reference Manager (RIS) in the list.
4. Select Import. Your citations should now load into EndNote.