Set up your Mendeley account on the web.
Download and install the desktop application appropriate for your computer: Microsoft Windows, Mac, or Linux.
After installation, you will need to sign in with the email address and password that you used to set up your account with Mendeley.
My Library via Mendeley Desktop
Toolbars (upper left)
- Browse through the two toolbar options at the top to learn about Mendeley's functions.
- Add content, create and delete folders, make choices about the format of what you see, install Word plugin, identify duplicate records, sync your library to Mendeley web, get help.
Search (upper right)
- Search for words across your entire library including within downloaded PDFs and any notes you have made.
- Drop down arrow offers search within Authors, Titles, Publication Names, Year, or Notes.
Left Side Pane
- View all the documents in your library. Use the default options or folders you create to view to a subset of your library.
- Filter your library by Authors, Author Keywords (assigned by you) Publications or Tags (assigned by you).
- Displays the summary citation information about the articles in the selected portion of your library.
- Select and double click an entry to view an attached PDF within Mendeley.
- Right click on an entry to open the PDF in an external window.
- Displays the available detailed information about the selected article.
- Select the Notes tab to add information that you can search.
- Scroll down for options to add Tags and Author Keywords
My Library via Mendeley Web
The web interface is very similar to the desktop interface. Some functions are not available via the web, such as searching your collection by author name or title word.