Bioinformatics & Research Data Librarian
Barrie Hayes, MSLS
- The UNC Center for Bioinformatics supports many common bioinformatics software packages that are licensed for use by UNC personnel. Current software resources include:
- Vector NTI GCG
- CLC Genomics Workbench Sequencher
- GeneSpring Partek
- Ingenuity Pathway Analysis (IPA)
- For more information about these resources, see the UNC Center for Bioinformatics software page.
- Nucleic Acids Research Annual Database Issue
- Nucleic Acids Research annually collates, indexes, and summarizes new or revised databases available for research in molecular biology, genetics, genomics, and proteomics. The 2014 database issue is freely accessible and includes descriptions of 58 new and 123 updated data resources. For convenience, the issue is now divided into eight sections that reflect major subject categories. Among the highlights of this issue are six databases of the transcription factor binding sites in various organisms and updates on such popular databases as CAZy, Database of Genomic Variants (DGV), dbGaP, DrugBank, KEGG, miRBase, Pfam, Reactome, SEED, TCDB and UniProt. The companion online Database Collection, organized by category at http://www.oxfordjournals.org/nar/database/c/, now includes over 1550 selected databases spanning various aspects of molecular and cell biology. (Source: NAR website)
- Nucleic Acids Research Annual Web Server Issue
- NAR issue dedicated to web-based software resources for analysis and visualization of molecular biology data. It is freely available under NAR's open access policy. The 2013 issue reports on 95 web servers with special emphasis on network and pathway analysis, high-throughput sequencing data analysis and biological text mining. (Source: NAR website)
- Bioinformatics Links Directory
- This freely accessible, online collection features curated links to molecular biology resources, tools and databases. Links listed in this collection are selected based on recommendations from bioinformatics experts in the field and input from the community of bioinformatics users. Since 2003 it lists all links contained in the annual NAR Web Server Issue. (Source: bioinformatics.ca website)
- OBRC: Online Bioinformatics Resources Collection (University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences Library System)
- The Online Bioinformatics Resources Collection (OBRC) contains annotations and links for 2826 (and growing) bioinformatics databases and software tools on the web. Included are databases and web-based tools in thirteen topical categories: DNA sequence databases and analysis tools; enzymes and pathways; gene mutations, genetic variations and diseases; genomics databases and analysis tools; immunological databases and tools; microarray, SAGE, and other gene expression; organelle databases; other databases and tools (literature mining, lab protocols, medical topics, and others); plant databases; protein sequence databases and analytical tools; proteomics resources; RNA databases and analysis tools; structure databases and analysis tools. The OBRC uses the Vivisimo Clustering Engine® to enhance retrieval and navigation of search results.