Early Career Researcher's Guide: Literature Resources
This portal is designed to provide early career researchers with basic information they need to get started at UNC and to link them to relevant resources in other Library guides or elsewhere at UNC.
Using the Libraries
In this box:
Libraries at UNC-CH
- Health Sciences Library: Search UNC-CH Libraries' catalog or PubMed; access electronic databases and learn more about the services and borrowing procedures at the HSL.
- UNC-CH Libraries and Hours: Map and hours for all libraries at UNC-CH.
Finding Books and Journals
- The catalog for the UNC-CH library system can be searched from the Health Sciences Library homepage
- Click on the "Catalog" tab above the search box
- Use keywords, title, author, journal title or subject to search for:
- Print and electronic books
- Print and electronic journals
- Other media (videos, DVDs, audiobooks)
- Results show the location and availability of the item
- The UNC University Libraries provides access to hundreds of databases. Click on the links below to access:
- To get the article, click on button next to the article you want. This allows you to:
- Access full-text articles available electronically through UNC-CH libraries
- Search the UNC-CH library catalog for the print journal
- Submit an Interlibrary Loan request (see below) if the journal is not available at UNC-CH libraries
- Articles+ is a library search engine that searches for scholarly and news articles,e-books, theses and dissertations
- Articles+ is helpful for research topics that are interdisciplinary in nature because it searches across multiple platforms: the library catalog, databases, journal publishers and more
- To search Articles+, click on the "Articles+" link below the search box on the UNC University Libraries homepage
Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery
- Students, faculty and staff currently associated with UNC-CH are eligible to use interlibrary loan (ILL) and document delivery services
- Use your ILLiad Account to:
- Request books from another library on the UNC-CH campus
- Place a hold or recall on a book
- Request a book or document not available at UNC-CH libraries
- On Campus: Electronic resources are accessible on-campus and from the UNC Hospitals' computers. Faculty, students and staff must register personal laptops and mobile devices to use the UNC-CH wireless networks.
- Off Campus: Access resources off-campus via the Libraries' websites by logging in with your Onyen and password. Most electronic resources are accessible off-campus to students, faculty and staff. You can also connect to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN on your device to have access to the on-campus internet.