This guide is a sample of archival resources available in the Wilson Special Collections Library on the history of the performing arts at UNC-Chapel Hill. It offers a brief overview of some of the materials in the library that could be helpful for research and curiosity in this topic. It is organized, by tab, as follows:
- Academic Departments - Includes archival collections relating to the Department of Dramatic Art, PlayMakers Repertory Company and the Department of Music.
- Student Organizations - Includes archival collections relating to performing arts student groups or student groups that offer performance as a component of their programming. This guide provides just a sample of the many student groups involved with performance including the Asian-American Student Association, the Black Student Movement and V-day Carolina, and a broader reaching resource, the Carolina Union records.
- Carolina Performing Arts - Includes archival materials relating to UNC's performance organization, Carolina Performing Arts.
- Visual Materials - Includes general locations for performing arts ephemera, photographs and newspaper articles.
- Registering and Requesting Materials - Includes general information about how to conduct archival research at Wilson Special Collections Library.
This guide was created in Spring 2019 by Anicka Austin and subsequently updated by Sarah Carrier.