- The Craft of Research by Booth, Wayne C., Gregory G. Colomb, and Joseph M. Williams. 4th ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2016 (classic writing guide used by many graduate and professional programs; multiple print editions in several UNC libraries, including HSL 3rd floor: Q 180.55 .M4 B725c 2003 edition and 2016 e-book edition).
- The Elements of Style, Strunk and White (multiple print editions in several UNC libraries; no UNC ebook). Often available used; available inexpensively.
- Writing manuals, guides, and handbooks by Diana Hacker
- Writing manuals and guides by Kate L. Turabian (for college papers, term papers, research papers, theses, and dissertations). Turabian focuses on the research process, as well as formulating an argument, writing and drafting, using sources accurately. Often available used; available inexpensively.
- The Allyn & Bacon Guide to Writing by Ramage, John D., John C. Bean, and June Johnson. 7th ed. New York: Longman, 2014 (older edition at UNC Davis Library).
- The Longman Handbook for Writers and Readers by Anson, Chris M., and Robert A. Schwegler. 6th ed. New York: Longman, 2010 (UNC Undergrad Library has 2nd edition).
- On Writing Well, William Zinsser (multiple print editions in several UNC libraries; no UNC ebook);
- The Science of Scientific Writing. George Gopen, Judith Swan. American Scientist, Vol. 78 (Nov-Dec 1990), pp. 550-558.
- The Scott Foresman Handbook for Writers by Ruszkiewicz, John J., et al. 9th ed. New York: Longman, 2010 (older editions at UNC Davis and Undergrad Libraries).
- Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose by Constance Hale (no e-book version; Davis has 1 copy of 1st edition/1999);
- The St. Martin’s Handbook by Lunsford, Andrea A. 7th ed. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2011 (older editions at UNC Undergrad and Davis Libraries).
Don’t overlook these UNC Writing Center Online Handouts:
UNC Writing Center Online Handouts: Collection of handouts and multimedia demos for all aspects of academic writing, including Writing for the Sciences, Annotated Bibliographies, Literature Reviews, and much more.