EndNote X7 and X8 Tutorial Guides
The Toolbar Looks Different
EndNote for Mac has fewer icons at the top for quick changes. More functions are located in the Edit, References, and Groups menus at the top of the screen. Refer to the following picture and description for what each icon does:
- Sync with Endnote Online: Refer to the section on Endnote Online for more information.
- Share Library: For Endnote X7 only. Invite other X7 users to access your Endnote synced library. Refer to the section on Endnote Online for more information.
- Find Full Text: Select article(s), and then click this button to find full-text. You can also click References > Find Full-text.
- Find Reference Updates: This will search the web for any updates to the citations in your library.
- Add a New Reference: Create a new reference manually. You can also click References > New Reference.
The output styles menu is located under Edit > Output Styles. You can also find the output styles in the reference panel (circled in red).
Select the style you want from the drop-down menu or click Open Style Manager for more styles.
For more information on Output Styles, see the Advanced Tips page in this guide.
Browser Selection: To enable Direct Export (automatic downloads) from electronic databases (PubMed, Web of Science, etc.) to your EndNote library, you must use Mozilla Firefox. Use of other browsers (Safari, Google Chrome) to add references to your EndNote library is possible, but requires an extra step.
For complete instructions on adding references to your EndNote library, see Adding References to EndNote.
Cite While You Write and Office 2016 for Mac
Note: Office 2016 for Mac and the Endnote Cite While You Write plugin for Word do not play nicely together. This may result in you not seeing the CWYW tab in your Word 2016 interface. The crux of the problem appears to be that only Endnote X7.5 is compatible with Office 2016 for Mac.
Cite While You Write
How do I get Cite While You Write (CWYW)?
- You need to have Microsoft Word installed on your computer before you install EndNote.
- Endnote X7 and X6 are compatible with Microsoft Word 2008 and 2011.
- Installing X7 will add the EndNote submenu automatically. If you are installing X6, you will have to install it manually.
Where is the Cite While You Write in Word?
CWYW is under the Tools menu in Word.
How do I insert a citation?
- Make sure both your EndNote library and your Word document are open. Position the cursor in Word where you want to insert a citation.
- Select Insert Citation under the Tools > EndNote (see above picture).
- The EndNote Find & Insert My References box will appear. Enter text (author's last name, year, title, keyword) to search for a particular reference or insert an astrick (*) to search through all references in your library. Click the Find button.
- In the results of your search, click on the reference that you want to cite to highlight it. To highlight multiple references, hold down the Ctrl key while you click on references.
- Once you have selected your references, click on the Insert button. The selected references will be inserted into your Word document and displayed as defined by the current Output Style.
How do I change the output style in my Word document?
- In the Word toolbar, select Tools > EndNote > Configure Bibliography.
- Choose your desired style from the With output style drop-down menu. If a style does not appear in the drop-down menu, click on the Browse button to find another style. Click OK.