EndNote X7 and X8 Tutorial Guides
Important Notes for Endnote Users
EndNote 9.3 Issues: The EndNote 9.3 Update is incompatible with previous versions of EndNote, including 9.1 and 9.2. Once you install 9.3, you can convert old libraries to a new format; however, this new format cannot send XML files or libraries to any previous versions of EndNote. For best use, do not install the Endnote 9.3 Update.
MAC Users: If you have updated your macOS system to 10.15 Catalina and are running EndNote X8 or earlier, you may be experiencing problems. Please visit the Mac Users tab for more information.
EndNote is a citation management program that allows you to:
- Create and maintain your own searchable database of literature references
- Centralize and organize your research information
- Insert citations into word processed documents
- Format references and bibliographies in a variety of styles
EndNote is available as downloadable software (Desktop version) for PCs and Macs, and as a cloud-based account online.
The Desktop version must be bought, and comes with an online account, but you can also create a free online account (EndNote Basic) that is mostly similar to the online account you would get with EndNote Desktop.
Each user who purchases a license for EndNote Desktop can install their license on up to three of their devices but can not share their license with other users.
March 2017: The screenshots currently in this guide are of EndNote X7, so they may look a bit different from what you have if you've just bought EndNote X8. We're currently looking at EndNote X8, but at this point it seems like most of the functions work the same way as X7 - they're just blue instead of orange.
How to Purchase EndNote
- Go to Student Acquisition Ordering Portal at https://sa.unc.edu/shop. Log in with your Onyen and password.
- Choose the link for Shop as a Student. If you automatically enter the Ordering Portal, skip to the next step.
- Search for EndNote in the search box toward the bottom of the page.
- Select EndNote for Windows or OSX depending on your computer type and click Add to Cart on the right side of the page.
- When you are ready to check out, click on the Cart icon in the upper right corner next to your name.
- The $65 cost for EndNote will be charged to your OneCard expense account. You will need to have the funds available in your OneCard expense account at the time of checkout. You can add funds to your OneCard here.
- You will be emailed a downloadable link and the required serial number /product key needed to install.
- The ITS Software Distribution Office is a vendor in the BuyCarolina Marketplace in ConnectCarolina. To place a BuyCarolina order you need to have a BuyCarolina role in ConnectCarolina and a valid Chartfield String. If you do not have both of these, you will need to contact your departmental business office to place your software order. Some departments allow faculty and staff to place orders, and others may restrict the ordering to the business office or IT department.
- Go to ConnectCarolina at http://connectcarolina.unc.edu. Log in with your Onyen and password.
- Click the BuyCarolina link from the Admin WorkCenter Links Tile.
- Click the Software Distribution box from the list of Additional Stores
- You will need a ChartField to charge the expense to your department.
- Once the Chartfield String has been entered, you will be directed to the vendor catalog, where you will see the link for "ITS Software Distribution"
- After completion of your order, you will be emailed a downloadable link and the required serial number /product key needed to install.
Comparing reference managers
|HSL Online Guides||EndNote||Zotero||Sciwheel (formerly F1000Workspace)|
|Classes at HSL||EndNote Classes||Sciwheel Classes|
|Cost||Under $100 through UNC-CH
||Zotero is free||Free through UNC-CH|
|Notes||See EndNote Basic/Online guide for further details on the free online version||Use this link to create account. Select No, I'm a new user then select password.|
|How is it used?||Computer
|Major citation styles?|
|Annotation of PDFs|
|Locate full-text using UNC-CH subscriptions||
Instructions for EndNote
Instructions for Zotero
Instructions for Sciwheel
|Adds citation from a PDF|
|Sharing options||X7 and above users have sharing options / email compressed libraries||See group options here
||Share unlimited projects and manuscripts|
|Free online storage||X7 and above: unlimited||700+ papers
(more space can be purchased)
|Word Processor||Microsoft Word||Microsoft Word
Manuscripts for Mac
Learning To Use EndNote
If you're new to Endnote, there are a few ways to learn how to use it.
- The Health Sciences Library offers introductory classes on Endnote about once a month while university classes are in session. To find out when the next class is, check out the events page.
- This guide offers instructions on most of Endnote's basic functions and some of the more advanced ones, like creating your own citation style.
- The company that sells Endnote has a lot of good tutorials on their website and Youtube channel. The introductory videos below appear on their Youtube channel and will get you off to a good start.
EndNote for iPad
An EndNote iPad App is available for download from the Apple Store.
To learn more, check out FAQs for the EndNote iPad app.
Note: You cannot use the Endnote iPad app without an Endnote Online account (see our page on Endnote Online). The Endnote app will only access references that you have synced with your Online account.