Rehabilitation Service Line Resources: UNC Hospitals
PICO: What and Why?
PICO or PICOT or PICOTT
- brainstorming keywords for your research
- Saves time!
- Patient, Population, or Problem
- Intervention, Indicator, Variable of Interest
- Comparison, Control, or Usual Care
PICOT: Some models add Time: the time it takes to demonstrate an outcome (e.g. the time it takes for the intervention to achieve an outcome or how long participants are observed).
PICOTT: Others add Type of Question and Type of Study to the PICO framework to create PICOTT reminds you that different types of study designs are used to answer different types of questions.
- Type of Question (e.g.,Therapy or Diagnosis)
- Type of Study (e.g., Systematic Review of RCTs > individual RCTs > cohort studies)