Don't Forget: Do These Now!
Take a (virtual) tour of the HSL
Some resources and services may not be currently available at HSL due to the COVID pandemic. For the latest information, see Here's What to Know About Campus Libraries.
We appreciate your helping keep other library users and library staff safe by wearing your mask at HSL and maintaining appropriate physical distance.
Set up the campus network on all your devices. It will save you time when you do library research.
- Allow up to 24 hours, once the registration process is complete, for the registration to take effect on the networks (usually takes an hour or two).
BEST BET: Plan ahead (several days) and get help from the experts at School of Medicine IT (SOM IT).
- SOM IT On-Site HELP: skeleton crew only at MacNider until after Labor Day, 2021.
- Suggest using Live Chat until then. Support techs can use screen-sharing app to help you.
- Once you click, you will be taken to help.unc.edu site.
- Once there, be sure to log in (upper right) with your SOM credentials so that you will be routed to SOM IT.
- After Labor Day, onsite wll reopen more full but will require an appointment.
- School of Medicine IT Self Help Guides
- SOM IT Service Desk Current Walk-In Support Hours: 137 MacNider Hall
Before you work with SOM IT set up email: requires ONYEN/password; doable from home
- Email sign-up: https://selfservice.unc.edu. Sign in with your ONYEN and password
- NOTE: Do NOT log in to student version of Office 365 suite IF you already have an active subscription to Office365 from outside UNC-Chapel Hill. This is even more important if you plan to use OneNote.
Complete this at least a day/preferably two in advance of library session
- Have all your devices available (laptops, smart phones, tablets, iPads, etc.)
- IT will help set up recommended Eduroam for networking, Sciwheel citation manager (download and install; tools), dual authentication/verification
- Note: if you already have Eduroam installed from an institution other than UNC-Chapel Hill, it is best to remove that first.
- Let them know you will need to use your laptop/devices not just in SOM buildings, but also campus buildings such as the libraries.
- Live Chat help. If you go to help.unc.edu or are routed there from the link, be sure to login with your credentials at the top right so that you will be recognized as School of Medicine.
Regarding Minimum computer requirements (from SOM IT):
- Android devices: 8.1/oreo and higher (9/pie, 10, 11)
- MAC/iOS: Catalina/10.15 or higher (Mojave no longer supported by end of 2021). Avoid newest iOS if just released within the last few months.
- Windows: Windows 10 or higher
- Students: most students will not have PHI/SI on their devices and will not require encryption. If you do, then SOM IT can advise you on the encryption process, but you will be responsible for completing the tasks and storing your recovery token safely.
- Faculty/Staff: SOM IT will assist you with encryption if you have PHI/SI on your device.
Don't forget that you have access to Adobe Creative Products and other software via UNC Shareware: https://software.sites.unc.edu/adobe/
Sprint to Print
Printing is back at HSL (August, 2021)!!
Both color and black-and-white printing are available at HSL, as are scanners that allow you to scan and send to your email.
New CCI Printing Links:
- CCI Printing: Windows/PC
- CCI Printing: MAC OS
- CCI Mobile Print
- CCI Printing Station Locations (Note: printers removed from HSL during Coronavirus Pandemic)
- CCI Mobile Print: Use on My Computer (Pharos)
- CCI Printing FAQ's
Organize Citations & PDF's
Before you drown in information overload:
- Register for a free UNC account to try out Sciwheel (formerly F1000 Workspace)
- For other options, consult our guide on comparing citation managers.
Be True to Your School: Choose Allied Health
Select Allied Health as your affiliation on library forms.
- Then we will know how much Allied Health people love using library services!
Veterans Resources: Campus & Beyond
Office of the Dean of Students Veterans Resources
Department of Allied Health Sciences Veterans Resource Team Member
- Jan Benjamin, University Veterans Certifying Official and University GI Bill Services Official, email@example.com