Clinical Reference: Nursing
Top Nursing Databases
Interdisciplinary / Includes, but not limited to, nursing
Evidence-based reviews and summaries
- Put similar terms/synonyms in the same search box or in parenthesis separated by OR.
- ("new nurse" OR "new nurses" OR "novice nurse" OR "novice nurses")
- ("proton pump inhibitor" OR prilosec OR omeprazole)
- "early mobility" OR "early ambulation" OR "early mobilization"
- Only one search box? Use parentheses to keep similar terms grouped together.
- (cancer OR oncology) AND (resilience OR resiliency)
- (soup OR stew OR broth OR gumbo) AND (flu OR influenza)
- Searching for variations of a word? Remove the ending and add an asterisk to search for all variations.
- educat* finds education, educate, or educating
- nurs* finds nurse, nurses, or nursing
- Search for phrases with double quotes
- “nurse practitioner”
- "intensive care unit"
- "quiet time"
Too many results? Try:
- Sort by Relevance or Best Match instead of date and stop when results don't fit
- Add another component to your search (think PICO format)
- Adding a unit name or setting
- Limiting to past 5 or 10 years
- Reducing the number of similar words you use
Clinical Nursing Librarian
Elizabeth Moreton, MLS
My pronouns are she, her, hers