Allied Health Sciences: Faculty Resources
Special COVID-19 quick links (Research & Teaching)
Getting Up & Running When You Arrive at DAHS: Administration
In addition to meeting with your Division director, make sure to meet with Val Tan and Chris Edwards for Administrative Onboarding. See Onboarding box on this page for additional information.
- Valerie "Val" Tan (Associate Chair for Administration, DAHS). Val will provide much of the key administrative information you need and will point you to the departmental shared drive for additional resources.
- Chris Edwards, PHR (Human Resources Consultant, School of Medicine HR Service Center)
Introducing the DAHS Office of Research & Scholarship (DAHS OORS)
After meeting with your Division Director and Val Tan, contact Patty Kinneer, Managing Director of Research Support & Scholarship (contact information below) , who will connect you with research and scholarship resources and connect you with networking opportunities. The office also maintains a set of mentoring resources.
Associate Chair for Research: John Grose, PhD:
Managing Director of Research Support & Scholarship: Patty Kinneer
The DAHS Office of Research and Scholarship (OORS) provides an array of services for researchers and scholars: Resources
Example research support includes the following:
- Mentoring resources
- Budget development
- Consultation on data security
- Preparation of grant proposals
- Post-award management
- Methodological support
The OORS offers preparation of manuscripts, presentations, and other continuing education materials. The OORS hosts monthly forums highlighting best practices in research, clinical services, and teaching.
GPS (Grant Pre-Submission Notification System): One-stop online shop within DAHS to help you complete your grant application correctly and on time. Alerts the OORS and ready them to provide any support you need. Direct Link to GPS input form
- Who: all faculty and students
- What: any grant, internal or external, even if you decide later not to submit the proposal.
- As soon as you think about preparing an application for a specific funding agency
- It’s never too early, but at least 30 days before the due date
DAHS Methodology Consultants:
- Wanqing Zhang, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor, Research Methodologist. Email: email@example.com
- Mixed Methods (Qualitative + Quantitative), Secondary Data Analysis, Health Services & Public Health Research Methods
- Clare Harrop, PhD, Research Assistant Professor, Translational Research Methodologist. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Translational methods, combined behavioral and psychophysiological methods, Early Career grant applications (K awards, pre & postdoctoral fellowships)
Getting Up and Running: Clinical & Teaching
For your clinical work, in addition to your Division Director, you can consult with Lisa Johnston (Associate Chair, DAHS Clinical Services):
- Office: 919-843-5723
For your teaching work, in addition to your Division Director, you can consult with Susan J. "Sue" Beck (Associate Chair for Academic Affairs):
See Val Tan or the DAHS shared drive for administrative onboarding resources.
- See, also, Faculty Handbook on DAHS shared drive.
- See, also, UNC School of Medicine Faculty Affairs & Leadership Development Office: Faculty Onboarding
New Employee checklist for all PERMANENT employees.
PERMANENT faculty and Staff: Val provides resources such as the following prior to arrival or on the first day of work.
- Campus Map
- Business Card Order form
- Academic Calendar
- Travel planning info (for faculty)
- Emergency Procedures for AHS in Bondurant
- A link to the portal for all policies for UNC faculty
- AHS Compensation plan
- SOM Guidelines for Promotion
- AHS-Student Services Info Sheet
- HSL – Info Sheet
- AHS-Finance & Admin Info Sheet
- AHS-Office of Research Info Sheet
- GPS Brochure which specifically gives a timeline of when things need to go to OSR and how much lead time our grants administrator needs
- DAHS Clinical Services Info Sheet
- List of AHS Department Listservs
- AHS History and about the Organization