Allied Health Sciences: PhD and Post-Doc Resources
Set up the campus network on all your devices. It will save you time when you do library research.
- Allow up to 24 hours, once the registration process is complete, for the registration to take effect on the networks (usually takes an hour or two).
BEST BET: Plan ahead (several days) and get help from the experts at School of Medicine IT (SOM IT).
- SOM IT On-Site HELP: skeleton crew only at MacNider until after Labor Day, 2021.
- Suggest using Live Chat until then. Support techs can use screen-sharing app to help you.
- Once you click, you will be taken to help.unc.edu site.
- Once there, be sure to log in (upper right) with your SOM credentials so that you will be routed to SOM IT.
- After Labor Day, onsite wll reopen more full but will require an appointment.
- School of Medicine IT Self Help Guides
- SOM IT Service Desk Current Walk-In Support Hours: 137 MacNider Hall
Before you work with SOM IT set up email: requires ONYEN/password; doable from home
- Email sign-up: https://selfservice.unc.edu. Sign in with your ONYEN and password
- NOTE: Do NOT log in to student version of Office 365 suite IF you already have an active subscription to Office365 from outside UNC-Chapel Hill. This is even more important if you plan to use OneNote.
Complete this at least a day/preferably two in advance of library session
- Have all your devices available (laptops, smart phones, tablets, iPads, etc.)
- IT will help set up recommended Eduroam for networking, Sciwheel citation manager (download and install; tools), dual authentication/verification
- Note: if you already have Eduroam installed from an institution other than UNC-Chapel Hill, it is best to remove that first.
- Let them know you will need to use your laptop/devices not just in SOM buildings, but also campus buildings such as the libraries.
- Live Chat help. If you go to help.unc.edu or are routed there from the link, be sure to login with your credentials at the top right so that you will be recognized as School of Medicine.
Regarding Minimum computer requirements (from SOM IT):
- Android devices: 8.1/oreo and higher (9/pie, 10, 11)
- MAC/iOS: Catalina/10.15 or higher (Mojave no longer supported by end of 2021). Avoid newest iOS if just released within the last few months.
- Windows: Windows 10 or higher
- Students: most students will not have PHI/SI on their devices and will not require encryption. If you do, then SOM IT can advise you on the encryption process, but you will be responsible for completing the tasks and storing your recovery token safely.
- Faculty/Staff: SOM IT will assist you with encryption if you have PHI/SI on your device.
Don't forget that you have access to Adobe Creative Products and other software via UNC Shareware: https://software.sites.unc.edu/adobe/
Get software or online training
Need Software or Online Training?
Don't forget that as a UNC student, you have access to free Adobe Creative Products via UNC Shareware: https://software.sites.unc.edu/adobe/