Allied Health Sciences: PhD and Post-Doc Resources
Set up the campus network on all your devices. It will save you time when you do library research.
- Allow up to 24 hours, once the registration process is complete, for the registration to take effect on the networks (usually takes an hour or two).
BEST BET: Plan ahead (several days) and get help from the experts at School of Medicine IT (SOM IT).
- DURING UNC COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: https://www.med.unc.edu/it/
- "In order to help ensure the safety of our staff and our community, School of Medicine IT is currently responding to support requests in a way that reduces the risk of exposure to COVID-19 as much as possible. During this time, we will operate with a 'remote first' strategy, meaning we will do everything we can to meet your needs remotely."
- SOM IT Service Desk: 137 MacNider Hall
Before you come to SOM IT set up email: requires ONYEN/password; can do this step from home
- Email sign-up
- https://selfservice.unc.edu and sign in with your ONYEN and password
- NOTE: Do NOT log in to student version of Office 365 suite IF you already have an active subscription to Office365 from outside UNC Chapel Hill. This is even more important if you plan to use OneNote.
School of Medicine IT: https://www.med.unc.edu/it/ During pandemic, see "Remote First" strategy at this link.
Go at least a day/preferably two in advance of library session
- Bring your devices (laptops, smart phones, tablets, iPads, etc.)
- Will help set up Eduroam, [UNC-PSK networking, backup/optional], Sciwheel citation manager (download and install; tools including desktop), dual authentication/verification
- Note: if you already have Eduroam installed from an institution other than UNC Chapel Hill, it is best to remove that first.
- For UNC-PSK network, you must let them know you will need to use your laptop/devices not just in SOM buildings, but also campus buildings such as the libraries.
- Live Chat help: https://www.med.unc.edu/it/
Regarding Minimum computer requirements (from SOM IT):
- Android devices: 5/lollipop or above (6/marshmallow, 7/nuggat, 8/oreo, 9/pie)
- MAC/iOS: Sierra/10.12 or higher; preferred High Sierra/10.13
- Windows: Windows 10
- Students: most students will not have PHI/SI on their devices and will not require encryption. If you do, then SOM IT can advise you on the encryption process, but you will be responsible for completing the tasks and storing your recovery token safely.
- Faculty/Staff: SOM IT will assist you with encryption if you have PHI/SI on your device.
Don't forget that you have access to Adobe Creative Products and other software via UNC Shareware: https://software.sites.unc.edu/adobe/
Get software or online training
Need Software or Online Training?
Don't forget that as a UNC student, you have access to free Adobe Creative Products via UNC Shareware: https://software.sites.unc.edu/adobe/