Sciwheel (formerly F1000 Workspace)
Registration & Set-up (.pdf)
Use your UNC email address when registering for the first time to assure you are signed up for the full, institutional account (this is free to you). It is best to use your primary account rather than an alias. You can check for your primary account at https://selfservice.unc.edu/ under "My Aliases." You can also try email@example.com if you have trouble.
You will create your own password.
- See "Troubleshooting" Tab on this guide for additional troubleshooting assistance for UNC users.
Set Up: Browser Extension, Word Plugin,Google Docs add-on, Desktop App, Watch Folder
- Once your Sciwheel loads (after you register), you will see “Tools” near the top right. Use that to install the browser extension for each browser you use plus the Word plugin and Desktop app (install together), optional Google Docs add-on.
- During the transition these tools may still be branded as F1000Workspace.
- The browser extension is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Opera and Safari 6 onwards. We understand the Windows 10 Edge browser is now compatible. Browser extension guide
- Mobile apps are available for iOS and Android (still F1000 branded; still work) via their App stores. Search F1000. Once re-branding occurs, you may need to search Sciwheel.
- The Word plugin is supported for both Windows (2007 onwards) and OS X (2011/2016) versions of Word. Word plugin guide
- The Desktop app generally downloads together with Word plug-in. If not: desktop app guide and installation
- Use tool "gear" on desktop app for Activating the Watch Folder, if desired, or changing its location. All .pdf's (under 100mb) added to the watch folder automatically import to your reference list as long as they are smaller than 100MB. .
- Email for HELP (Sciwheel) or use the blue chat button with the smile within Sciwheel.
- Sciwheel support has been very responsive, just as it was when branded F1000.
Get Started: Helpful Links
Quick Start after registration (or access Help guide from within Sciwheel)
Troubleshoot: Account Expiration
- Your account "expired" or you are seeing a countdown to when it will expire:
- This may be due to off-campus roaming for more than 60 days (see below).
- It is also possible that you signed up, by mistake, for a free 30-day trial account, instead of our free UNC institutional account. This happens most often if you use a non-UNC email address, especially if you sign up from off campus. In this case, just message Sciwheel support and they will shift your account to the full, institutional access for UNC.
- Off-campus roaming: currently, users must log on through our proxy server (i.e., using the links from the HSL site or guides) OR from campus at least once every 60 days. If you use links from the HSL website that take you via our proxy server, the counter should re-set. You may need to log out and sign back in for the message to disappear,
- If you are unable to do either of these or it doesn't work, message Sciwheel support and they will reset your roaming counter. If you are a UNC distance education student or you are permanently assigned off campus, please let them know.
- A note about proxy access interfering with browser extension installing: very occasionally (we have not seen this at UNC, so far) users accessing Sciwheel via a proxy server are unable to install the browser extension (in tools). If this happens, try this:
- Click on the circle with your initials at the top of the page and log out.
- Then try logging on from here: https://sciwheel.com/
- Install the extension, log back off, then connect back through the proxy by using one of the regular links from the HSL website or this: https://sciwheel-com.libproxy.lib.unc.edu/work/signin
- If this doesn’t work, message Sciwheel support for assistance.
Troubleshoot: Can't upload PDF’s from the cloud
Unable to upload PDF’s via Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive due to an authentication issue?
- Connect to Sciwheel directly at https://sciwheel.com/work, complete the upload, then reconnect to the proxy.
- You may also be able to accomplish this by using a second browser (not authenticated through UNC’s proxy server) and connecting directly to Sciwheel at https://sciwheel.com/work.
- See, also Sciwheel FAQ on Adding References > Importing PDFs
Troubleshoot: When all else fails
Sciwheel support has been outstanding and this has continued as they've rebranded to Sciwheel. You can message them from within Sciwheel, and you will generally receive a response within a few hours.