Sciwheel (formerly F1000 Workspace)
Registration & Set-up (.pdf)
Always sign in from the library website link: https://sciwheel-com.libproxy.lib.unc.edu/work/signin
Use your UNC email address when registering for the first time to assure you are signed up for the full, institutional account (this is free to you). It is best to use your primary account rather than an alias. You can check for your primary account at https://selfservice.unc.edu/ under "My Aliases." You can also try email@example.com if you have trouble.
You will create your own password.
- See "Troubleshooting" Tab on this guide for additional troubleshooting assistance for UNC users.
Set Up: Browser Extension, Word Plugin,Google Docs add-on
- Once your Sciwheel loads (after you register), you will see “Tools” near the top right. Use that to install the browser extension for each browser you use plus the Word add-in (and the optional Google Docs add-on, if you'd like).
- The browser extension is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Opera and Safari 6 onwards. We understand the Windows 10 Edge browser is now compatible. Browser extension guide
- Mobile apps are available for iOS and Android via their App stores.Search Sciwheel.
- Download and install the Word 365 add-in. Sciwheel Word 365 add-in guide. This add in works best with Office 2019 forward, both online and desktop versions for windows and Mac.
- If you are already currently using the original Word plugin you may continue to do so, although it will no longer be supported as of August 2021. Word plugin guide
- You may have both versions installed; however, select just one to use in any document - they are not interchangeable.
- The Desktop app used to download together with the original Word plug-in. It is no longer available with the new Word 365 add-in. desktop app guide and installation
- Use tool "gear" on desktop app for Activating the Watch Folder, if desired, or changing its location. All .pdf's (under 100mb) added to the watch folder automatically import to your reference list as long as they are smaller than 100MB. .
- Email for HELP (Sciwheel) or use the blue chat button with the smile within Sciwheel.
- Sciwheel support has been very responsive.
HSL Sciwheel Instructional Videos
Get Started: Helpful Links
Quick Start after registration (or access Help guide from within Sciwheel)
Troubleshoot: Account Expiration
- Your account "expired" or you are seeing a countdown to when it will expire:
- This may be due to off-campus roaming for more than 120 days (see below).
- It is also possible that you signed up, by mistake, for a free 30-day trial account, instead of our free UNC institutional account. This happens most often if you use a non-UNC email address, especially if you sign up from off campus. In this case, just message Sciwheel support and they will shift your account to the full, institutional access for UNC.
- Off-campus roaming: currently, users must log on through our proxy server (i.e., using the links from the HSL site or guides) OR from campus at least once every 120 days. If you use links from the HSL website that take you via our proxy server, the counter should re-set. You may need to log out and sign back in for the message to disappear,
- If you are unable to do either of these or it doesn't work, message Sciwheel support and they will reset your roaming counter. If you are a UNC distance education student or you are permanently assigned off campus, please let them know.
- A note about proxy access interfering with browser extension installing: very occasionally (we have not seen this at UNC, so far) users accessing Sciwheel via a proxy server are unable to install the browser extension (in tools). If this happens, try this:
- Click on the circle with your initials at the top of the page and log out.
- Then try logging on from here: https://sciwheel.com/
- Install the extension, log back off, then connect back through the proxy by using one of the regular links from the HSL website or this: https://sciwheel-com.libproxy.lib.unc.edu/work/signin
- If this doesn’t work, message Sciwheel support for assistance.
Troubleshoot: Can't upload PDF’s from the cloud
Unable to upload PDF’s via Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive due to an authentication issue?
- Connect to Sciwheel directly at https://sciwheel.com/work, complete the upload, then reconnect to the proxy from the HSL website Sciwheel link.
- You may also be able to accomplish this by using a second browser (not authenticated through UNC’s proxy server) and connecting directly to Sciwheel at https://sciwheel.com/work.
- See, also Sciwheel FAQ on Adding References > Importing PDFs
Troubleshoot: When all else fails
Sciwheel support has been outstanding and this has continued as they've rebranded to Sciwheel. You can message them from within Sciwheel, and you will generally receive a response within a few hours.